Sunday, November 15, 2015

Day -47: Head start

I'm not going to finish my list of books to read this year, before starting the Reading Plan. Since I'll keep reading this year's books into next year, I've started reading next year's books this year.

Today I started reading the 1955 Hugo Award winner, They'd Rather Be Right.

I'd prepared for this eventuality. I decided a while ago that if I read any Hugo winners or Appendix N books ahead of the start, I would leave them on the list and add to the numerator; if I finished anything off-list (as I did, two of them), I'd remove them from the list and decrease the denominator. It makes no difference in the actual ratio that matters, the pages to read per day.

It also works well for how I read. I like to have two books in progress at a time: one in print, because I like having and feeling books; and one on my phone, because I can read at times when it would otherwise be inconvenient, most notably in bed with the lights off (so I read white text on a black background). All I have left for this year are two print books, one from the library and one that we own, so I should start something on my phone, and it might as well be my first choice for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment