Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Day -37: The Wheel of Exceptions

I put together a number of rules for my Reading Plan. They're rules, because I take them seriously, but they're not laws, because there are exceptions. I can always choose to violate the rules if I want (who's going to enforce them but me anyway?). But there is one big exception to a bunch of rules already, and that's Robert Jordan's mega-epic The Wheel of Time. If Lord of the Rings is the Bible, The Wheel of Time is the Mahabharata. It's 12 volumes (the last three of which were written by Brandon Sanderson, who was hired by Jordan's family after Jordan's death to write the last volume but ended up having to write three to cover the ending Jordan had outlined). It's 11,523 pages, which is 15 percent of my plan as it currently stands.

The rules, and how I'm breaking them:

For Appendix N, I put the first book of a series on, and add subsequent volumes only after I read the first and decide to continue. The Wheel of Time is entirely on the list from the get-go.

When deciding what book to read next, pick something from the list with the lowest completed percentage. If it's a tie or close, H>N>O. For the first six years, every January and July, a volume of The Wheel of Time will be the first next book I read on my phone. At two books a year, I should finish it in the summer or fall of 2022.

Books I've already read don't go on the list. I've read the first three already, the third back in 2008. I'm going to reread them, because a seven-year gap won't help me enjoy or understand the books.

Game books and books I read to my kid count as reading for my annual metrics, but not as part of the reading plan. This rule doesn't apply to The Wheel of Time. I just wanted to throw it out there because I plan on resuming reading the Hordemachine fiction as well this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment