Sunday, November 15, 2015

Day -47: "Month" and "Book"

As I track my reading by the month, I use my own definition of month, one I wish we all used but that ship sailed 2,000 years ago. Anyway, for the purposes of tracking this, a month is four weeks, which means there are thirteen of them in a year. The extra day at the end (two in leap years) gets added to the last month (because you need that extra day to get anything done with all those holidays). Thus my 20-year challenge is divided on my spreadsheet into 260 months.

The other thing I do is count books as more than one. Or less. Back when I read War and Peace and The Polysyllabic Spree close together, I was unsatisfied with the idea that they both count as one. So I count a book as up to 500 pages, rounded up to the nearest 250. The Polysyllabic Spree counts as half a book; War and Peace counts as two and a half. On my spreadsheet I'm calling this book-units, and I'm trying to use "title" to refer to one book between two covers. I'm not sure it'll matter at all, since I'm counting pages so assiduously, but there it is. Where this has come into play has been my year-by-year tracking of books read, alongside figures painted, how far behind on my podcasts I am, and occasional other metrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment