Thursday, December 31, 2015

Day 0: Twenty Years

The plan starts tomorrow. I've gotten a head start, reading They'd Rather Be Right and cracking The Eye of the World. And I'm going to finish Infinite Jest, which is not in the plan. 

But the 20-year plan starts now. 

I have decided to do something, to chain myself to a list, for a period equal to half my life so far. When I am done, I will have done it for a third of my life, and I will be nearing retirement. If the baby stays with us, by the time I am done he will have graduated high school. 

That's assuming nothing bad happens. Twenty years is a long time and I am already middle-aged. There is a substantial chance that I won't even live through the next 20 years. And yet I'm going to try to read all these books. Why? Because I can, because I want to, because it's a better use of my time than some other things. 

But I'm still going to paint figures, listen to podcasts, watch TV, and be with my family. We'll see what of those still exist in 20 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment