Monday, June 27, 2016

Month 6

Month 6 of 260 (2.31 percent)
Size of list: 79,994 pages (2.9 percent greater than starting size; all growth this month from revision of books already on list)
Pages read: 3,302 (4.13 percent)
H-list: 1,015/22,219 (4.57 percent)
N-list: 979/35,009 (2.80 percent)
O-list: 1,308/22,766 (5.75 percent)
Finished: Startide Rising
Reading: The City Stained Red, Solo Command, The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft
Added: none

All I finished this month was Startide Rising, the first of the middle era of Hugo winners. A few weeks later, and I barely remember how it ended. What I remember is the premise and the characters and how interesting they all were. Most of the characters are dolphins, "uplifted" into being able to use language and control harnesses that let them use tools; a few others are humans, and there's one chimp, and then several brief scenes focusing on aliens. It's the second in a series, and way, way, way better than the first, to the point where I would recommend skipping the first. 

I've been reading The City Stained Red somewhat intermittently, and I think my enjoyment has suffered from that. Each chapter is entertaining on its own, but I get more enjoyment overall when I read it without weeklong gaps and can put the threads together. The characters and races and world are original enough to be fresh, but not jarring. (Somehow I need to work the couthi into a D&D game.)

I've also, separately, done some reading of the Hugo nominees packet, as I'm a Hugo voter this year. I've only done the reading for a few categories, so I have a lot to do. (There have also been two major soccer tournaments going on, so I'm way behind where I should be this month. I'll catch up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment